Do I have to see a therapist with my partner?
Definitely not. If problems are arising within the relationship, they might only be stemming from your own inner-pain. In this case, seeing a counselor one-on-one can bring clarity to the root issue and help determine whether or not you need to bring your partner in for coupled counseling. In many cases, it will bring the relationship more benefit to attend sessions together, but this does not have to be decided right away.
What are relationship counseling services?
Counseling services for relationships can be sued to address many issues, including the following:
- Intimacy or sexual difficulties
- Understanding of other person/parties in relationship
- Substance abuse in one or both parties
- Premarital counseling for addressing differences before marriage
- Communication problems
- Anger, past or present
- Domestic abuse or violence
- Disagreements over raising and disciplining children